Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Breastfeeding again

My baby's 2 months old already.. and I'm well way on my breastfeeding journey again. I'm hopefully wiser this time around and determined to do it better. With Sarah, her first formula bottle came at 15 months. I was happy and very grateful, considering with Sufya I barely made it 30 days. This time around, with Syasya, maybe, just maybe, I could touch 2 years.

One single factor that I contribute this to - is the need to create your own support system. The Internet- the cyber experts & online breastfeeding mums and forums, for me- was mine, since I couldn't find real-life people who had a full time career and made it past their pantang days. I wasn't so lucky with Sufya, my firstborn, since the Internet was scarce then and my mum didn't really breastfed any of us and therefore couldn't understand what it took.
For Sarah, I armed myself with lots and lots of reading, and was able to hold myself well enough to fight off, well actually just smile off, all `well-meaning' advices and urges. You see, `well-meaning' does not neccesarily mean right. Times have changed, and how we raise our kids are probably a bit different than how we were raised.
With Syasya now, I've decided to put up a lot of pictures and info for friends who might be making this wonderful decision and also to keep myself motivated. Because there is one disease every pumping mother will get as time goes by and it's called M.A.L.A.S (Huhu..)
So here's for today (^_^)



I collected these 24 packs (7 oz each) within a little more than 2 weeks in February, and I keep them in Avent liners to save space. It's so beautiful to look at kan.. hehe.. But I must remind myself that my milk will not be this abundant as time goes by.. so I can't lose sight of that and must keep pumping.



Maybe this is a better way to arrange it?




They go in containers labelled by month, so I know which stock to finish first. They only have a shelf life of 3-4 months frozen, and I use only 1 pack a day. The rest would be fresh milk that I've pumped that day or the day before.



This would be ready for feeding. Just pop them in hot water for a few minutes and transfer them into my Breastflow bottle, and we're ready to go. My pump parts are not washed after every session, only once a day, washed and sterilized. Instead they go into the fridge too.



My Breastflow bottle. Its design is patented to discourage nipple confusion - something every breastfeeding mum fears. It helps baby to switch between mum's breast and bottle effortlessly.



My freezer.. the March container ready to receive stock (^_^)
Fish/chicken/meat will go to the bottom shelf. Here, you are looking at the day before pasar day.. ahaks

What I do FIRST every morning upon opening my eyes is go to freezer to check my stock. It's insane but EVERY breastfeeding mum knows what this feels like.

And I can tell you, it feels pretty damn good.

2 comments:

  1. hi i agree! i was 'obsessed' w my frozen milk too esp after i lost 18 bottles. i love the sight of them too.. hehe.. i have stopped expressing when baby turned 1 and am still breastfeeding her who is 19 months old now. i hv a full time job too so yup i know the tiring yet fulfilling feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi anon
    i know, isn't it the most gorgeous sight ever? hehe.. wow you're 5 months away from `graduation' then. well done. good luck and thanks for dropping by :-)

    ReplyDelete