Friday, July 4, 2008

Must. Write. More.




I have got to start writing more.

It's nice to read other people's blogs that get updated often. And man, can people write. It blows my mind at how they can walk their thoughts so carefully and orderly. Me - I don't have such energy. Cut me to the chase and just hit me with it already.


Also, I wait till I have something good i'd like to remember and then I pick up the feather. Otherwise, well, sorry... afraid it won't make the cut.

I don't know how this happened. I'm not proud of this, you know. I used to be quite the writer when I was in school.

My essays have been read out loud in class and more than one lecturer have told me that I've got the flair. In fact, one made me write out a whole new one in front of her because she thought I took my sentences from somewhere, when I was, hello, talking about `my embarrasing experience'. `My'. Mine. Go figure.


So that's saying - people don't throw up reading my stuff.

What on earth is the deal here then..?

I'm thinking it's coz sometimes I just forget this is my space and that I can do whatever the hell I want with it. Guess you could call it `blog-shy'.

And then when I get home, between breastfeeding my baby, my girl's homework, my husband's updates and everything in between, the reasons not to write snowball even more.

But I've got to get back in the game. I've got to, I've got to, I've got to.

Especially since I'm pursuing my doctorate soon and of course the fact that I'm an academic. I'm a researcher. I'm a writer. It's my business to write. Publish or perish, is the mantra drilled day in and day out.

And the sad thing is, I love writing. Most people don't.

So what the hell is the matter with me.....? Get on with the program already...!

I give myself way too many excuses sometimes..sigh..

Just get on your freakin arse and do it!

Excuse my French.

Watch this space..



16 comments:

  1. I'll be watching... ;-)

    I think I know what stopped you. Obviously you're a better writer than I am. But I simply write what crosses my mind or perhaps where my fingers take me. Plus the photos which I love to take. Perhaps time is another factor. Or you haven't been atacked by the blogbug like what shera & I are suffering. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ja
    U know what, u're absolutely right.
    The bug hasn't found me. So how do I get it to bite me? hehe

    That's a good tip, to write whatever crosses your mind. And to throw all inhibitions out the window. Maybe I'm too careful sometimes.

    About me writing better, Ja what kind of crap is that..??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi darling,
    Would love to read more of ur stuffs. I agree with Ja....u r a better writer. so pretty please!!!

    And Ja,
    That makes two of us, I too simply write whatever crap passes my mind, regardless how insignificant it is to others. Or maybe because Syafiq cant take in more than the damage i'm already doing to him! hahahaha....so, blog ialah pendengar setia ku selamanya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are after all our worst critic. We think that everything has to be perfect before we can commit it to paper or in this case, the mighty cyberspace. I completely understand what you mean. I've been there and I seem to remember a certain person who nags and nags at me to write because she's bored of seeing obscure songs on my blog. Err... how about saying all those things to yourself :D... It managed to motivate me-- although not for long. But it did make me write a little more than I have been, although not by much.

    By the way, was the teacher who told you to write in front of her is the Chinese teacher at TESL? I forgot her name. I'm not trying to be racist- just to help narrow the choices down because I seem to remember that there were only 2 Chinese teachers when we were there. Because she did the same to me too... Go figure..

    ReplyDelete
  5. shera - that's right, i somehow feel that it has to have some entertainment value before it makes the cut! To hell with that ya? thanks for spelling that out for me

    joy - alamaks.. kena sebijik kat kepala la...huhuhu ok ok i'll tell that to meself and see how far it'll take me. ohmigod! yes a certain lecturer by the name of irene something. she did that 2u2?what the #$%^..??? did she get a kick out of torturing our poor souls? but in retrospect, i guess i could take it as a compliment now, huh should i? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always known that you are a good writer. There was this one short story that you wrote which you showed to me and Puteq. It's about a college girl always sitting under a tree with her bike and she had a crush on a boy of the same college....that part I could remember clearly.....

    So, go on and keep writing brilliant stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ila,
    It was Irene, pretty sure of it. And I too remember the story u wrote, mentioned earlier by Dikny. Guess what...the boy's name was JOSHUA!!!! See???? Good memory on my part...hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. dikny & shera: you girls are so sweet, remembering something that was ages ago!! hehe
    yup, it was a short story called `Fallen', in reference to the hottest song at that time, and it was actually one of the few that I actually completed! Pathetic betul..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey dear,
    Fallen? Check out my song player on my blog. There's FALLEN there! Brings back 'ancient' memory..hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, Fallen....
    Ila,
    maybe you should expand the story a little bit and my hubby could direct and produce it and it might turn out to be a big hit on screen....you'll never know...

    ReplyDelete
  11. dikny- u mean ur hubby's a big-shot director?? how come i didn't know about this...??

    ReplyDelete
  12. hihihi....hubby's not a big-time director yet, insyaAllah, one day he'll be one....at the moment he's directing short films and stuff like that...but his genre is actually action movies...
    Directing is his main interest and I'm just supporting whatever he likes best....can't complain much,huh...

    ReplyDelete
  13. dear nic,
    u dnt knw me n i dnt knw u, but we both know Shera. Just to tell u she passed away tday 22/7/08. Sad like crazy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. dear chahya
    thanks. yes i heard the devastating news..
    i'm still shaking, trying to get a grip of myself, trying to believe it..
    Ya Allah Ya Tuhanku, engkau cucurilah rahmat ke atas hamba mu itu. Amin..

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi La.allow me to put my comment here.i have to agree wt everyone.u r one good writer.and yes, i do remember that Fallen story u wrote. with that Keanu Reeves' looking guy wasn't it? the guy that throws his head back whn he laughs(i'm not sure u put it but that's how i remember)..i do hav good memories besides our dear shera(moga dlm lindungan Allah swt)kan?alright..from now ,i'll be your loyal blog fan.but pls make sure u write more,k!..chow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ida dearie
    welcome, welcome, welcome!
    thanks so much.. oh my, your memory's impeccable. yes, that's exactly it - keanu reeves, johnny depp, all those long haired bad boys... hehe
    ok will try to write more after what u guys are saying.. such a motivation for me
    thanks so much
    love ya
    missing shera ~al-fatihah~

    ReplyDelete